libxml/zlib Problem.

I've got a problem with libxml and zlib.

When I try to compile gnome-core-1.1.2, gnome-applets-1.1.2,
gnumeric, or an other program that uses libxml, then I get
messages that libxml can't be found. In the config.log file I
found that gzopen and gzread can't be found.
After adding -L/usr/lib (that's where my zlib is) to the CFLAGS
before starting configure everything compiles without problems.
I don't know what has changed, but I never had to do this before.

All programs work except sawmill-themer, which says:
rep: error in loading shared libraries:
/usr/X11R6/lib/libxml.so.1: undefined symbol: gzopen

I've recompiled sawmill, librep, rep-gtk and upgraded libxml to version
1.8.6 but nothing works.

Can someone please tell what I have to do.

Thank in advance.

Paul Kreugel