Re: Host Name Problem

On 2000.12.30 23:25:49 -0500 Anthony E . Greene wrote:

> Resolv.conf is for default domain searches and for nameservers, not just
> any
> host machine. The hosts file is still used in places where a DNS would be
> more trouble than it's worth. For instance, I don't run DNS at home, but
> list several remote machines that I work with often so that connections
> them will be made quickly. I also list machines on my LAN so that various
> services work better.

Tony,
	Thanks for the clarification.  It's been a while since I sorted all
this out on my own to get ppp working.  I haven't really comprehended DNS.
It was my understanding that hosts listed in /etc/hosts were looked for at
bootup, so that if I have a standalone machine, it's better to leave my
ISP's name and address out of /etc/hosts.  Are you saying that I will
connect more quickly if I include a line for my ISP in /etc/hosts even if
it's a dialup connection?

Brett