Re: Still, GNOME And Internet....

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Austin wrote:

> On Monday 25 December, Michael Weichert wrote:
> > Helllo again,
> >
> > I thought that Redhat would simplify everything. I had none of these troubles with Caldera, but it didn't ship GNOME - and I have to have gnome. Yes, I know that I can download GNOME- but not everything is optimized for Caldera, so things don't run as they should sometimes. Now - I'm not going to give up on Redhat, because I know that it has the potential of doing what I want. All I need in the Internet with it! ;-]
> >
> > So, can someone please go step by step with me on how I can set up my modem using IO: 0x2028 and IRQ: 9 with rp3 and the redhat dialer. I really appreciate your help that you have given me - but I receive so many emails telling me to do so many different things, I loose track of where I have started. So, please - can someone write me how I get this working - or either provide me with a link that can help.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Michael Weichert
> >
> > P.S. Your help is very much appreciated, maybe I can reward the person who provides the success to my problem. :-)
> >

> Hello,
> You might try using wvidal instead of the rh dialer.
>         http://www.worldvisions.ca/wvdial/

Rp3 uses wvdialer, so that doesn't make a difference.

Michael, perhaps you should _first_ try to access the modem manually with
a normal terminal emulator (minicom). Try to dial with it and see if it
connects properly:

- Reset your modem with "ATZ", it should repsond with "OK"
- Dial with "ATDT<your isp phone number here>", it should -- after some
  noise -- respond with "CONNECT xxxx" where xxxx is you connect speed
  (typically 28800, 33600 or some random higher number for 56k
  connections).

If that works, try to get your PPP setup (which should be a no-brainer
with rp3, but only if the modem works).

Ciao,
Nils
--
         Nils Philippsen / +49.711.96437.250 / nils redhat de
       Red Hat GmbH / Hauptstätter Straße 58 / D70178 Stuttgart