From: lee
Sent: Saturday, December 23, 2000 9:37 AM
Subject: Re: GNOME Related Problem...

Michael Weichert wrote:
Hi there. I really need some serious help. I just got done downloading and installing Redhat 7.0. The problem is, redhat can't detect my modem. I have a PCI US Robotics 56k Fax Modem (Real modem). In Windows, it is on COM5. I really need to get this working, so I can download Helix Gnome - and then dump windows all together. Please if someone can help me - I would appreciate it. Thanks,Michael Weichert
hi michael.

   my modem is same  .....

what you do ( i also have redhat 7 and you'll be glad too because xfree86-4.0 is very fast and gnome is much better because of it ) is:

setserial /dev/ttySx autoconfig irq x

you will fill in the above line for the "x" to fit your system

mine is ttyS2 and irq 5

yours may be different...

try running:
cat /proc/interrupts

that should tell you what interrupt the modem is on..

write if you need more help
lee
-===:)
for a christmas wish see:
http://www.imyourhandiman.com/indextwo.html

and goto "merry Christmas" link and press go to right