Rebuilding menu structure

hi all~
  2 quick questions: i accidentally deleted all of my menus using gmenu and i
guess it removed the whole menu directory structure.. at first panel wouldn't
even start up ( kept seg faulting) so i added an empty dir apps to my
/usr/share/gnome.. but gmenu still won't let me edit the menu structure and
replace files.. my question is, what else do i need before i can edit the menus
with gmenu?  the second question pertains to the rest of the menu.. i recently
reinstalled rh 6.2 with helix gnome on top and i can't get rid of some of the
menus that red hat installs.. they're obviously not in the gnome menu structure,
so how do i kill them? thanks in advance for help..

    ~thanks  steve
    (frizzy softhome net)