Re: gnome-lib and Solaris 7x86

From a admin that has about 40 Commercial apps for Solaris who dump thier
crap into their own /opt/<package> directory we end up with PATH statments
so freaking long it makes your head hurt. so my feeling on /opt is a
love-hate relationship.

Well, that's the nature of the beast.  I agree obnoxiously long paths
are just too much to deal with.  Makes you want to run through the
computer room with half the floor tiles missing. ;-)

What makes us love it is a program called depot.
http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/depot/

This takes all the /opt/<whatever> packages or whatever you configure it
for and makes them all think they are in one big directory. I have a
semi-ok discription of how depot works...
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2000-October/msg00472.html

Yeah, I know about depot.  For me and my 4 paths' it's not really
necessary.  And I agree that it gives you an inordinate amount of
flexibility, and the only problem is getting used to the configure/
install dance you have to do.  It makes a lot of sense.  But in the
terms of distributing pre-packaged software, I don't need to worry
about it.  I surely don't want to require people who want to use
prepackaged software to have to install/learn depot.

Ben

take a look.. it's a pretty nice package managment system

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Ben Taylor wrote:

> Bitter?  <sigh> I do this for free.  I *HATE* /usr/local.
> I work for Sun, and I can't tell you the number of times people
> have shot themselves in the foot because they put all that stuff
> in /usr/local.  /opt is for "optional" software.  I have /opt/local,
> /opt/gnome, /opt/X11R6, and /opt/perl. One hell of a lot easier
> to maintain than that stinking pot of /usr/local
>
> >i personally am very bitter when a package doesnt spacify a choice for its > >install path. when i make packages, they default install in /usr/local, > >but can be installed whereever you choose. why more people dont do this i > >dont understand. and if i have /etc/ stuff too, then ill either put it in
> >/usr/local/etc or make a configuration files package too.
>
> And go ahead and move /etc/dt to /usr/local/etc/dt and see how
> dtlogin picks up things.
>
> And since Gnome is such a huge hulking package, a choice of
> where to put it means that you'd have to set a bunch of LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> directories, and I'd prefer to keep things
> simple.  You're the first person to *complain* about how
> I package the software.  Do me a favor and don't download
> anymore of it.
>

> >thats all..
> >adam
> >

> >At 07:34 PM 12/7/2000 -0800, you wrote:
> >
> >>I have been trying to find if anyone has solved the problem of
> >>gnome-lib configure failing due to the db 1.85 compatibility
> >>problem.
> >>
> >>I downloaded, compiled and installed the latest version of Berkeley
> >>db with the --185compat option and still cannot get configure
> >>to complete.
> >>
> >>I know this is a known issue, but is anyone else working on it?
> >>
> >>I did find a Package for Solaris 7x86 but it was built on a Pentium
> >>Pro Processor and installed Gnome in /opt and I was building
> >>in /usr/local.  Call me lazy or stubborn but I don't want to
> >>make clean the previously compiled packages and rebuild them
> >>in /opt.
> >>
> >>Any suggestions or packages compiled in /usr/local would be greatly
> >>appreciated...
> >>
> >>Thanks.
> >>
> >>A.J. Leitell
> >>

> >>-----
> >>Sent using MailStart.com ( http://MailStart.Com/welcome.html )
> >>The FREE way to access your mailbox via any web browser, anywhere!

> _____________________________________________________________________________________ > Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

---
Bryan Whitehead
Email: driver rccacm org