Re: gnome-lib and Solaris 7x86

At 01:56 PM 12/8/2000 -0500, Ben Taylor wrote:

Bitter?  <sigh> I do this for free.  I *HATE* /usr/local.

i do see /usr/local as a "good"? thing. i always viewed it as "local stuff needed for system functioning which doesn't come with solaris, but should reside in the /usr tree". like, ssh. or say a third party ftp server which starts at boot time. granted, the same could be argued for gnome, but i digress. things which must run, or the system no longer works the way it was meant to. granted, this case can be made for /opt, and surely /opt is easier to type than /usr/local.

/usr/local seems to me to be a rather bloated idea. i dont know why it is perpetuated, but it is. i remember once finding a server which had about a gig of stuff in /usr/local/ and there were a bazillion files in /usr/local/bin, etc.

i was wondering, do most linux distros still place all their binaries in /usr/local/bin? what is the prevelant place for gnome under linux?

I work for Sun, and I can't tell you the number of times people
have shot themselves in the foot because they put all that stuff
in /usr/local.  /opt is for "optional" software.  I have /opt/local,
/opt/gnome, /opt/X11R6, and /opt/perl. One hell of a lot easier
to maintain than that stinking pot of /usr/local

i would agree.  /opt is far too unused.

i personally am very bitter when a package doesnt spacify a choice for its
install path.  when i make packages, they default install in /usr/local,
but can be installed whereever you choose.  why more people dont do this i
dont understand.  and if i have /etc/ stuff too, then ill either put it in
/usr/local/etc or make a configuration files package too.

And go ahead and move /etc/dt to /usr/local/etc/dt and see how
dtlogin picks up things.

i dont want to. im fine with dt. it places its stuff in a subfolders. thats one of my biggest issues with /usr/local. and yes, i do make them default install in /usr/local because that is where the vast majority of systems are configured. most of them time, i have a couple of different sets, depending on the system im using--those which install in /usr/local, those which install in /opt. sadly the world is not perfect and i have to deal with systems which use /usr/local.

And since Gnome is such a huge hulking package, a choice of
where to put it means that you'd have to set a bunch of LD_LIBRARY_PATH directories, and I'd prefer to keep things
simple.

definately. i have a gnome only directory which only contains the gnome related binaries, libraries, etc.

i just dont enjoy cookie cutter packages. it makes it hard when im trying to slap a package into a system which is already running. it i were bringing one up from scratch, i wouldn't mind much though. i guess it all goes back to the idea that /opt is far too under used these days.

adam