Sound

Hello all,

I am having major soundcard problems.  I'm using rh linux 6.2.

I installed my CMI8738 soundcard through sndconfig.  It seemed to
recognize everything correctly until I did the sound check.  The sound
came out all garbled.  I tried to play some mp3 files through xmms.  It
would work OK for a little while, then it would stop playing in the middle
of a song.  If I tried to get it to work for too long, Gnome locked up and
I had to Ctrl-Alt-Backspace out.

Does this sound like a setup issue, or simply a non-windows-compliant
soundcard?

This is what my /etc/sysconfig/soundcard file:

# THIS FILE IS WRITTEN BY SNDCONFIG
# PLEASE USE SNDCONFIG TO MODIFY
# TO CHANGE THIS FILE!
# There should be no spaces at the start of a line
# or around the '=' sign
CARDTYPE=CMI8X38

Help, please.

Thank you.