Helix gnome bug

Hi
For the first time I installed Helix gnome (ie: the full works) rather than
installing from source.
The problem I came across is that one of the checks that the installer does
is to check the distribution installed. Unfortunately it does this on the
basis of checking a (very small) list against what is in ..version in /etc.
If it doesn't match it bombs.
I run definite linux on one of my PC's and knew enough to alter this.
HOwever - Helix gnome is aimed at fairly newbie people so I think this
should be altered or at least provde a FAQ or something about it.