Re: Getting logged out

On Sun, Aug 27, 2000 at 03:37:15PM -0400, Chris Beattie wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Since I installed Helix Gnome, I get logged out if I let a session sit
> for a long time.  It's never done it while I've been using the system.
> If I leave the computer but stay logged in for a few hours, I usually
> come back to a gdm screen.
>
> Gnome didn't do this before.  Can you tell me how to fix this?  I'm
> running Red Hat 6.2 on x86, Helix Gnome, and XFree86 4.0.

XFree86 4.0 is very buggy.  Most likely (I say this only from my own
personal experiences with 4.0) what you are seeing is X crashing,
gdm respawning X, leaving you with a login screen and making it seem
like you've been logged out.

Even more telling would be if you have the GL xscreensaver modules
installed.  I frequently found XFree86 4.0 would crash shortly after
it started doing GL rendering (which is now built into the X server).

I've had much better experiences with XFree86 4.0.1, which fixes a
number of bugs with 4.0.  Or, you might downgrade to the time-tested
3.3.x series.

--
Ian Peters
itp@helixcode.com