Re: How to suppress the annoying warning message for gmc??

On 22-Aug-00 Tom Gilbert wrote:
> I'm saying don't run everything as root because you *don't need to*, and
> it's an unnecessary risk. Let's ignore the possibility of making a
> mistake for a minute, and remember that no gtk or GNOME code has been
> audited for use as the root user. If someone else wants to get into your
> machince remotely, they will have really really easy time, because all
> those little insecure applets, clocks, loadmeters, icq programs etc,
> etc, etc will all be running as root. If one of them has a bug, that bug
> gets to run riot as root, instead of just a user.

        OK, I also hate to perpetuate this boring, oft-repeated
thread, but I _know_ this. Neither I nor most other people who
are complaining here use the root login in a GUI when we have a
better option. Unfortunately, for most of us Linux or Unix system
administration is a continuing experiment in figuring out what new
surprises some programmer has cooked up for us. In addition, many
people, me included, do not do it as our primary jobs, only as
something that we must do so that we can do our jobs. At some point
you spend as much time mucking around trying to do things the "right"
way that it's simpler and more practical to login as root. And
I am telling you, as a user of the GNOME system, that this
warning is not useful to me, nor is it terribly useful to people
who don't have a clue (who presumably are your intended audience),
and I'd like to be able to turn it off on systems that don't
require it.

        Now, if you folks don't want to do that, that's OK. I
understand the arrangement. But don't try to tell me that it's
an important feature, because it's basically useless to anyone
who's not just trying to cover his butt.

--
Craig Orsinger                <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>
Logicon Advanced Technology

"'Eureka'. It's Greek for 'This bath's too hot'."   - The Doctor