Re: Freature suggestion for gnome 2.0

On 22 Aug, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> hobbit@aloss.ukuu.org.uk (2000-08-22 at 0020.01 +0100):
> [...]
>> > And, if I'm not stretching this too far, perhaps the comment field should
>> > be the default for new users of GNOME?
>
> Maybe. The idea of ordering menus by task was great, and should never
> change, and that one could be optional. I would put announce as one of
> the first tip of the day, and big in the menu documentation: "You can
> have a menu that show names (XChat), command line (xchat) or long
> descriptions (XChat, an Internet Relay Chat client). And get all that
> info using the secondary meny (normally right click)". [As Telsa
> suggests]

This is a great idea.

The only caveat being that we shouldn't just grab the command line from
the .desktop, since that may well include a lot of options or other
distractions, e.g.

Exec=gnome-terminal --title=NetHack --sm-disable --tclass=NetHack --command=nethack

(Pretty obvious it's for nethack, but . . .)

or

Exec=rxvt -title "X Log" -iconic -e nice tail -n 20 -f ~/x.log

(The uninitiated would never guess that the operative command is
'tail'.)

But Telsa's definitely right. I've spent more time than is necessary
myself trying to find the correct command line for some Gnomish apps.

Even in a GUI, some of us are die-hard CLIers.

At the very least, the About box for each app should include the name of
the executable.

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

Suburbia: a place where trees are cut down
     in order to name streets after them.