Re: Install Helix GNOME 1.2

Don Geddes wrote:

> I have downloaded and installed GNOME 1.2 but I have a major problem I
> was using KDE with Caldera 2.4 and running Windows as well.  I am
> using LILO Caldera's operating system loader which loads Linux or
> Windows.  When the kernel boots it tries to load KDE but can't as I
> have installed GNOME.  I get several lines of :  /bin/sh:
> /etc/rc.d/rc.gui: cannot execute binary file.  This is followed by
> INIT: Id "gu" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.  Then the
> system stops running.
>   My questions are 1) how do I reconfigure the system (and/or LILO) so
> it will find GNOME and proceed to GDM?  2) seeing as I can't get into
> the system at all how do I get in to make the changes? Thanks. Don
> Geddes

Um.... LILO has NOTHING to do with GNOME or KDE, unless Caldera modified
it in some way... Just like Linux itself has NOTHING to do with GNOME or
KDE.

Did you uninstall KDE at all?  If not, it shouldn't make any difference
to the system.  Either that are Caldera's a lot more screwed up than
I thought...

To boot into the system, use a rescue disk.  If your install disk cant
be used as a rescue disk, it should have a .img file on the CD to make a
rescue in Windows w/ rawrite.exe.  Then you can look in /etc/rc.d/rc.gui
and see what files it might be loading that are missing.

Sean Middleditch