download manager(?) / application idea

I finally set up fetchmail last week.  So far, it is great.  However,
every morning I wake up to a lot of email.  I'd like to be able to see
fetchmail's progress on the panel somewhere -- a small meter showing
me how many messages it has downloaded and how many remain.

But really I'd like something more generic.  If I use gnapster, or
wget, or whatever, I'd like to see their progress in the panel as
well.  I frequently run such programs in a workspace "on the side" so
that they don't interfere with what I'm really working on.  Some
definite notice, and some easy way to immediately see their progress,
would be nice.

Is anybody working on something like this?

Tom