Widgets and printing [Was: Why GTK+ vs. GNOME?]

Alan Shutko wrote:

> > Printing surely does not belong to widget set. It is way too big and
> > complex, needing to handle:
>
> So what _does_ it belong to?  It doesn't belong to the app... we know
> what kind of nightmare that is.

Yes, good question.  Consider one nice thing in Microsoft Access where a
widget might display partially (viewable using scrollbars), but the
"can grow" property, if true, allows it to show the entire contents.
While printing is a monster problem, I wonder if the Gtk or Gnome widget
might provide hints as to how it should be printed with the following
properties:
   1. please try and keep me together on one page (like html tables in
netscape)
   2. allow me to grow vertically in print mode if required
   3. use callback xxxxxxxxx() when printing.
      (Does this imply an "on-print" event?)
Just thinking.  It is a difficult problem to think thru.
--
David T. Bath bathd@edipost.auspost.com.au
+613 9204 8713 (W) 0418 316 634 (Mbl)