serious problem--help

I had a problem were I had to hit reset on the box (I now that is bad to start)
When rebooting filesystem failed so i had to run fsck.  It seemed to fix a lot
of things (like 100 or more)  Then I rebooted and when I logged in it said "no
/root directory"  and bash$ came up.  I tried to start x but it said couldn't find
root directory.  So trying to be creative I did  "mkdir /root"  that allowed me
into X.  All of my programs are still there but they are acting as if I am
running them for the first time...can someone explain what happened or even better
how to fix it??

thanks
Rob