Vague(symptomatic) description of localization problems with GNOMEsuite.

First of all maybe it is not at all a collection place for the whole bunch
of questions about gnome localiyation in this case please excuse me in
case it do here is the situation described rather vague because i have not
delved deep in the depth of gnome/gtk:

System used:
FreeBSD 3.4
Localized for Russian language (KOI-8R)localized is as far as I have
understood from conversations with some devotees is just gtk as a part
responsible for representation.

Problems:
Notoriously in GIMP as soon as I start the programm mask shows up with
explanation about what is going on to be installed but somehow in translit
(it means Latin letters which sound similar to Russian letters  appear in
place of Russian letters
 (you can reach it by falling back to 7-bit encoding))The 1) question is
why such  thing happens at all ?
Second question is about keyboard layout I am rather uncomfortable
with standard Russian keyboard layout and would like to use so-called
ICUKEN layout in gtk-applications.What and how need I to re-compile?

Once more in case this mailing list is the false place please excuse me
for offtopic and be so kind as to provide more appropriate mailing list
to me.

Regards,
AYAriel