Re: Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by C library

On 31 Jul, Timothy M. Schaeffer wrote:

8<snipped & reformatted>8

>>Kevin D. Knerr, Sr. [ Sun, Jul 30, 2000 at 06:20:40AM -0400 ] :

>>> Unsetting LC_ALL has essentially the same effect as setting it to "C"
>>> Is it at all possible that this (admittedly annoying) warning has some
>>> basis in fact: that the C libraries of some distros have been compiled
>>> without proper locale support???

> Look under ``Installation'' in the Libc manual, and read about `localedef'.
> It may not be necessary to
> recompile a C library.  It could be that the database for the languages is
> not properly set up.

I followed your good advice, but that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Not only does /usr/share/i18n exist, but all the locales are there. Just
to be on the safe side, I copied de_DE and recompiled it using the
sample command in the info docs:
  `localedef -i de_DE -f ISO-8859-1 de_DE'
The resulting file was indentical to the original, so no help there.

Looking at the glibc-2.1.3 source, I find the following in
localedata/README:

8<begin>8
To use these data files you should add the name of this add-on
(localedata) to the list of add-on you specify while compiling the GNU
libc:

        configure --enable-add-ons=...,localedata ...

where ... are the options you normally choose. Once you run `make
install' for the GNU libc the data files are automatically installed in
the right place, ready for use by the `localedef' program.
8<end>8

Now this document is from August 1997, so the question is, does
localedata still need to be specified explicitly with --enable-add-ons
(if any other arguments are given)?

If so, then this is the most likely cause of my locale problems, since
the Slackware build scripts do *not* include 'localedata':
  descrypt.SlackBuild:  --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads,crypt
  glibc.build:          --enable-add-ons=linuxthreads

Furthermore, this suggests that the annoying Gdk-WARNING is correct: the
user-specified locale, **, is *not* supported, only the default C
locale.

Can anyone confirm or deny these suspicions before I go on to the next
step of recompiling glibc and possibly sending a Slackware bug report?
I'd really appreciate *not* having to do the compile . . .

TIA

Barthel
--
   ld_barthel@yahoo.com | http://geocities.com/Area51/Shire/4063
gpg fingerprint: 8D3F 4BFF D36B BFCC FEE5  86A0 2AAF D3DA C395 641E

A fight does not need a winner. A fight needs a solution.
    - Rivka, in a.c, 9810