Re: Who keeps messing with my Menu drawer???

Daniel Lyddy wrote:

> I have my main menu drawer (ie the equivalent of a "Start" menu)
> configured just the way I want it, and I have archived a copy of
> /usr/share/gnome/apps to install on new machines so they all have the
> same main menu drawer.
>
> Some process or script keeps coming by roughly once a day and
> overwriting my menu with some ugly default.  I don't know whether it's
> something in GNOME itself or whether it's something installed with the
> distro (Mandrake 7.1).  Either way, it's Redmond-like behavior at its
> worst and it has no place in the Open Source movement.
>
> Does anyone know I how I can get rid of this blight on my Linux machine?

I have finally figured out the culprit, quite by accident.  The rpms I
use come from Mandrake, and many of them have the following lines in
their RPM spec files:

%post
%{update_menus}

%postun
%{clean_menus}

For those of you not familiar, I believe that if the RPM in question is
being installed, the {update_menus} command is run as a last step; and
it's {clean_menus} that is run when the RPM in question is being
un-installed.  To solve my immediate problem, I need to somehow convince
rpm to ignore these commands, as it would be way too tedious to go
through every SRPM in the world and erase them.

Are these types of commands also turning up in specs for RPMs put out by
RedHat or SuSE?

<soapbox mode ON>
This is Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris/whatever.  You're not supposed to change
the look and feel of my desktop without my explicit permission.  What
are we, Microsoft?
<soapbox mode OFF>

Dan
--
Daniel Lyddy		daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
California PATH/UC Berkeley Vision Group
Richmond Field Station, Building 452
1357 S. 46th St, Richmond, CA 94804-4698
tel: +1 (510) 231-5659  fax: +1 (510) 231-5600
url: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daniell
begin:vcard
n:Lyddy;Daniel
tel;fax:(+1) 510-231-5600
tel;work:(+1) 510-231-5659
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daniell
org:UC-Berkeley/California PATH;ViVE Lab/ATMIS Group
version:2.1
email;internet:daniell@cs.berkeley.edu
title:MSEE
adr;quoted-printable:;;Richmond Field Station=0D=0ABuilding 452=0D=0A1357 S. 46th St;Richmond;CA;94804-4698;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-8480
fn:Daniel Lyddy
end:vcard