Re: stable gnome sources

I don't think that's what he meant...

I think he wantd a directory that had no subdirectories and contained
ONLY the latest tarballs of source packages... so he could for example
type ncftpget ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/stable/latest/sourcelist and get
all the latest source tarballs, and only the latest sourcetarballs.

Although if we were going to do something like that, I'd suggest
something more intelligent, like a very simple install script that could
check the installed packages and only download the new/updated ones (not
something like Helix GNOME update, just a simple console-based script
that calls ncftpget or something for this).

Then a user could make a ~/gnome-source directory, download the script
and place it there, then type cd ~/gnome-source ; ./update.sh and work
on something else while the script automatically detects which packages
need to be updated and what not.  We could even have something like a
~/.gnomeupdaterc file which could contain config options, which might
look like

ignore=gnome-games
ignore=gnomehack
unstable=gnome-libs
buildpackage=gnome-core

So the installer won't install packages people don't want (or wont
upgrade packages people don't want upgraded), and they can also specific
they'd prefer unstable sources over stable ones (like how I only use
unstable gnome-core and gnome-applets since the stable ones really suck
feature-wise).  Also, people like me could specific that we want certain
packages to be installed via RPM (I'd implement this by downloading the
tarballs and issuing rpm -ta on it), and could also be done for other
packaging formats, or of course download the pre-built package if it
exists (prefering source over binary package could be an option, as
well).

Speaking of all this, I think I know what I'm going to work on for the
next few days... ;-)  Anyone mind if I make a Python script like this?

Sean Middleditch