Re: Gnome locks system constantly

At 00:07 24/04/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Whenever I login to the Gnome desktop the system locks up/freezes
>shortly after starting up (15 seconds-5 minutes) so I cannot do
>anything and have to manually reboot the computer.  I get no
>response from any of the keys on the keyboard.  Other
>desktops/environments (AnotherLevel) do not seem to have this
>problem.  There is no information in /var/logs/messages
>
>Anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose and fix this
>problem.

I've had the exact same problem. Gnome locked and freezed on me and only
manual boot was way out. I have a RH5.2 on which I installed October Gnome.

Now it seems for a few day this has stopped. This change seems to have
occured at same time i tweaked the system so that the numeric keypad would
be on automatically in X but with the lights off. Someone gave me the tip
how to do this on a newsgroup.

I'm really not sure this is the reason but you could try it.

Cedric the Heretic
cchauss@mail.club-internet.fr

"The peaceable part of mankind will be continually overrun by the vile and
abandoned while they neglect the means of self-
defense. The supposed quietude of a good man allures the ruffian; while on
the other hand, arms like laws discourage and
keep the invader and the plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world,
as well as property.  The balance of power is
the scale of peace.  The same balance would be preserved were all the world
destitute of rms, for all would be alike; but
since some will not, others dare not lay them aside...  Horrid mischief
would ensue were one half the world deprived of the
use of them;... the weak will become a prey to the strong."
  -- Thomas Paine