RE: Menu and /etc/X11/applnk - again

On 26-Apr-00 Toralf Lund wrote:
> Why doesn't the version of the panel in the CVS archive read
> /etc/X11/applnk like the one from the Red Hat distribution does?
>
> I've tried to change the code to support this, but I'm not able to
> figure out how. Is there a way to combine different directory structures
> into one menu in the first place?

        I can't answer your question, but I can suggest a path where
you might find the answer. RH often patches the GNOME code to make it
do RH-specific things. These patches are part of the source RPMs. If
you want to find out what changes they've made, then try downloading
the RH source RPM (or copy it from your CD) and installing it. There
will be one or more tarballs and some patches.

        If you need more information about how patches work, check
the man pages for patch(1) and diff(1).

        I agree that this is annoying, but I don't know what to
suggest, other than that more flexibility be built into the way
GNOME looks for configuration information.

Date: 26-Apr-00  Time: 10:20:27

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor