audio mixer/CD conflict

I've been having problems with playing audio CDs, they don't. I have
just found out that this is only the case if I have used the audiomixer
previously that session (it will kill CD sound while the CD is playing
if you modifiy aumix setting during a play as well, which is how I found
out). I'm using aumix 1.30.1-2 and cdp 0.33-16 (both YDL CS1.2
from-the-box versions). I have a feeling that this some how ties in with
an error that I get on shutdown "Saving mixer settings aumix MIXER_READ
[FAIL]". Does anyone have any ideas what is going on?

thanks
Dan Kortschak