newbie question: compiling source packages

I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere. I have just tried to upgrade
gnome-print and gnumeric to 0.18 and 0.52 repectively from the source
packages. I followed the instructions in the INSTALL file using a
$prefix of /usr for "./configure", then "make", then "make install", but
I got no binaries in /usr/bin for gnumeric (I can't tell if gnome print
went in properly, though some files definately did). This is the first
time I've tried to install from source, can someone tell me what I'm
missing, or where i can find that information. I'm running YDL CS1.2 on
a PPC.

thanks
Dan
--