Re: Dates and their formats

Rob Brown-Bayliss wrote:

> Hi all, is there a way to change from the backwards american date format
> for GNOME?
>
> It's just something I noticed today when playing with a calendar widget
> in Glade.  Here in NEw Zealand we use the British date system, where we
> list the Day, then Month and year so tody would be 9/4/2000 but the
> amrican dates (4/9/2000) make me think it's the 4 of September.
>
> Is there a Global Gnome variable I can set, or is this a general
> Linux/Unix thing I should set?

The gnome-dateedit widget has several problems, this being one of them.
I have been playing with this widget, but haven't gotten far enough
along
to post any changes. Some of the other problems include:

	1. The size of the date entry field is hard coded to 90 pixels.
	2. Changing the font/theme doesn't change the size of the fields.
	3. You can only pass/retreive information in a time_t format.

I'm playing with using the g_date routines from glib to handle the i18n
problems, and looking at how to automatically resize the entry boxes.
I sent a patch to the list a while ago about using 'GDate' and 'struct
tm'
for creating/retreiving the dates.