Upgrading Esound

I need to upgrade Esound because I just installed Enlightement 0.16.4

I'm running RH 6.1, but I despise using rpms, so I'd like to upgrade from
source. As it turns out the only way to upgrade to the latest version of
Esound at this point is to use source, unfortunately my current Esound is
a nice rpm package. If I try to remove it then I get plenty of dependency
problems. If I force the removal and then install Esound from source
should I (in theory) have any problems?

Thanks,
Billie