GNOME Icon Status Report #16 -- "Hey ho, hey ho, it's off to Prague I go"

GNOME Icon Status Report
as of April 7th, 2000
by mawa

WHAT'S GOING ON?

It's been some quiet weeks at the front, and I'm afraid I've got nothing
very exciting to announce for you. I just post this GISR to make you a bit
less angry and show you that we're still alive.

There is some discussion going on to give the icon effort a better central
and make it more community-centric instead of mawa-centric. As this will
probably decrease my workload, three cheers to the guys who are working on
this.:-)

WHAT HAS BEEN DONE

Not really all that much. I'm in a hurry, I haven't got much time before I
need to go to bed; tomorrow I'll go to Prague for six days. Hopefully I'll
come back hale and without major alcohol poisoning. And I've got a private
life to care for (love!) and a paper to write and music to make etc. etc.
etc., lame excuses galore.

Well, at least we released the second GNOME PixPack. Synap has made two
more, but they didn't get across to me, I just received two HTML documents
with error messages.

Icons have been added for:

  * gDict
  * QuickLaunch
  * WebControl applet

We've got candidates for Gaby, GMath, and the GNOME Transfer Manager.
They're just waiting for one lazy and romantic German (yours truly), who
is, alas, not feeling very businesslike these days, to add them to the
trees. There are also icons laying around for SSH and a brand spanking new
set of icons for various Linux package types (made by Eduardo). I'll add
them as soon as I get back from Prague.

MISSING ICONS IN THE PANEL CONTEXT MENU

"Add to panel" submenu

  * Status dock

Amusements

  * Sixty Four Bits

Clocks

  * Clock
  * AfterStep Clock

Monitors

  * SwapLoad
  * NetLoad (candidate in the making)
  * Load Average

Network

  * URL Collector

Utility

  * Mini Commander
  * Where am I?
  * bug-applet

OTHER APPLICATIONS THAT NEED ICONS

  * gLife (ALife program)
  * Pybliographer (bibliographer program)
  * XMMS Applet (XMMS multimedia player remote control)

FILETYPES THAT NEED ICONS

NB: this is a big and bold list. It contains nearly all the suffixes from
the suffixes(7) man page and more.

  * Assembly source (.s, .S)
  * Automake template (.am)
  * Awk source (.awk)
  * Backup file (maybe this should be done by laying something over the
    backed-up file type's icon)
  * ChangeLog
  * Common Lisp source (.cl, .lsp, .lisp)
  * C++ header (.H, .hh, .hpp)
  * Data file (.dat)
  * lib*db* simple database (.db)
  * Diff output (.diff)
  * DVI (.dvi)
  * Eiffel source (.e)
  * Emacs Lisp source (.el)
  * Emacs Lisp bytecode (.elc)
  * Fortran header (.fi) (try punched cards)
  * Fortran source (.f, .F) (dito)
  * FTP URL (.ftpurl?)
  * generic TeX font (*gf)
  * Ghostscript font (.gsf)
  * incomplete file (template) (.in)
  * .info file
  * .it audio file (ImpulseTracker module)
  * Java class (.class) (candidates available)
  * LaTeX class (.cls)
  * LaTeX style (.sty)
  * lex/flex source
  * Linux kernel (vmlinuz etc.; there should be icons for other OSes'
    kernels, too) (candidates available)
  * log files (.log?)
  * LyX files (.lyx)
  * M4 source (.m4)
  * Metafont source (.mf)
  * MIDI sequence (.mid)
  * NEWS
  * Nroff source for me package (.me)
  * Original file (.orig)
  * Pascal source (.p)
  * packed TeX font (*pk)
  * Patch (.patch) (candidates available)
  * Perl header (.ph)
  * Perl method (.pm)
  * Perl source (.pl, .perl)
  * Process ID file (.pid)
  * PGP armoured text (.asc)
  * PostScript font, ASCII (.pfa)
  * PostScript font, compiled (.pfb)
  * Python source (.py) (candidates available)
  * Python bytecode (.pyc) (candidates available)
  * RC (configuration) file (*rc, no suffix)
  * Rich Text Format (.rtf)
  * SGML (.sgml)
  * Shell script (.sh; the question is whether this makes sense, since most
    scripts have not got a particular suffix)
  * Stampede package (.slp) (candidate available)
  * Sun audio (.au)
  * Tcl source (.tcl; the same as for .sh goes for this)
  * TeX font metric (.tfm)
  * TeX virtual font file (.vf)
  * TeX virtual property list file (.vpl)
  * Texinfo source (.texi)
  * TODO
  * uuencoded file (.uu, .uue)
  * yacc/bison source (.y)

CONFLICTS

  * Balsa and TkRat using same icon
  * Gnome PPP, Internet Submenu, XSiteCopy using same icon
  * Main menu, Programs menu using same icon
  * Printer applet, GULP using same icon

SUBOPTIMAL ICONS

    Bitgrazer
has text, is not shaped
    Enlightenment theme
icon: E is hard to discern
    Glines
could use transparency
    GQview
a logo, not shaped, illegible, too massive
    Logview icon
metaphor is not international
    X-Chat
the new icon is better, but still a logo and not shaped
    Screem
is a logo
    TeX
file type icon: does not use correct TeX logo (capitalised, subscript E)
    Utilities menus
Swiss Army knife could do with more contrast

Feel free to comment.

THANKS

Thanks to all who have contributed.

If you, too, want to contribute, be sure to check the small GNOME Artwork
HOWTO.

mawa (mawa@iname.com)
--
It's been a hard day on the planet,