configure errors in cvs tree (probably user-error)

Has anyone else had problems getting nearly everything compiled?

I saw in the FAQ that the AC_TRY_RUN warnings are fine (cross-compiling)

but I'm getting a couple of other errors consistently - I'm guessing
it's just me, but am not sure what to do to make them stop.

have gotten audiofile and glib compiled - but nothing else

errors are (during autogen):

aclocal: configure.in: 202: macro `AM_PATH_AUDIOFILE' not found in library

 - and -

./configure: line 552: syntax error near unexpected token `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
./configure: line 552: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION)'

if anyone knows what I'm missing/doing wrong(?), I'd appreciate the
assistance:)