Re: cvs problems/questions

* Rob Hancock (rhan@nwlink.com) wrote:

> I have been trying to get gnome cvs installed.  RH6.0 system, left out as much
> gnome stuff during clean install.  I have been installing packages (in
> /opt/gnome) in the order listed from gnome1.0.40beta.  I've been able to get
> past different errors I've been getting in previous packages, but can't seem to
> figure this one out.
>
> I removed the original glib with rpm -e --nodeps, but that didn't seem to help,
> make keeps trying to find old shared libraries.
>
> Making all in libgnorba
> make[2]: Entering directory `/home/gnome/gnome-libs/libgnorba'
> orbit-idl -D__LIBGNORBA_COMPILATION ../idl/gnome-factory.idl
> orbit-idl: error in loading shared libraries: libglib-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [gnome-factory.h] Error 127
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gnome/gnome-libs/libgnorba'
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gnome/gnome-libs'
> make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Hang on, you removed glib, and are trying to install gnome-libs? For
starters, you shouldn't be using cvs versions of glib or gtk. gtk
especially, is not usually compatible, as the cvs version breaks
compatibility often. You should be using stable releases of gtk and
glib unless you have a specific reason not to.

Install glib (from the rpm again if you like), then try compiling
gnome-libs again. gnome-libs kind of needs glib to be around...

Don't confuse glib with gnome-libs, they are not the same thing.

> Some questions regarding a cvs install....
>
> I've read as many of the helpfiles, or pages written on a gnome cvs install.
> But still have some questions.
>
> 1.  After installing (sometimes before) I remove the old libraries for glib,
> and gtk because make finds the old ones.  Is that the correct thing to do?

Nope. In general, (rpm -e)'ing old libraries just after installing new
ones is not a good idea. Rpm just removes a list of files related to
an application, so it could take out some of your newly installed
files instead.

In general, run autogen and make, and if the new library compiles
successfully, rpm -e the old one, *then* run make install.

And don't install cvs glib or gtk.

Also, as you have an rpm system, certain compiles need to know
that your prefix is /usr rather than /usr/local, your sysconfdir is
/etc, not /usr/local/etc, and your localstatedir is /var/lib, or else
they'll look for stuff in the wrong place.

> 2.  I'm assuming I will have to recompile all programs that were compiled with
> the old version of glib and gtk?  Doing an rpm -e --nodeps on those old packages
> will break everything that uses them?

This is why not to use cvs versions of these. Only the developers of
glib and gtk do this. You'll break compatibility, and could find
yourself recompiling every time you update from cvs ;-)

Tom.
--
    .^.     | Tom Gilbert, England | tom@tomgilbert.freeserve.co.uk |