Re: gmc: open folder in new view

Ben Liblit wrote:

> Is my view valid? Can opening a folder in a new view be thought of as
> an operation performed on a folder? If so, then there should be some
> way to do it using direct manipulation.  Consider, for example:

I agree with your thinking here.

> Can I propose that double middle-mouse click be assigned this role in
> GMC? I believe that this would not conflict with any existing binding.
> We can already distinguish single click, double click, and drag using
> the left button, so presumably we can do the same for the middle
> button.  (Please correct me if I am wrong.)  Furthermore, the existing
> "File->Create New Window" technique would remain available for people
> without three-button mice.  It might also be appropriate to add an
> "Open in New Window" menu item to the right-mouse context pop-up menu
> for folders.

I think this is a great idea.   I hadn't really noticed since I don't use
gmc that much, but it makes a lot of sense.  I'm getting used to using the
middle mouse for a lot of things, and this would be a natural extension for
gmc.  I also think a right-mouse context popup is necessary too.  I think
the File->Create New Window is a klunky way of doing things, and isn't the
first thing that comes to my mind when I want to do what you're talking
about.

Dan