Re: Basics not in the FAQ

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Jason Whittle wrote:

> I've looked for the answer to this, and only found hints, so please
> don't flame me. I'm not clear on the specific relationships between X,
> GNOME, and WMs. The default for RH5.1 seems to be fvwm running
> directly over XFree86. Am I missing something (i.e. Is there a GNOME
> equivalent that is acting transparently on my distribution?) or does
> GNOME provide functionality beyond what a WM can offer? Is GNOME also
> a WM, or does it require a separate WM on top? Where does X stop and
> GNOME begin?

A "complete GNOME environment" is composed of various modules. Some of
these include:
	The X server & libraries, which take care of actually displaying
	the information.

	The window manager.

	The panel-esque part.

	The file manager & desktop stuff.

	Configuration.

> The goals of GNOME and Enlightenment seem to overlap to a good extent;
> is this intentional or even desirable?

As I understand it, the Enlightenment authors believe that the window
manager should contain the desktop functionality, so yes there is some
overlap.

-- Elliot
genetic North Korea terrorist assassination jihad NORAD class struggle
Legion of Doom kibo domestic disruption Noriega SDI CIA Ft. Bragg Uzi