gdm2 logs me into a non-graphics session

    I'm trying to get gdm2 beta 2 working on my RH5.1 system, and I'm
having a bit of trouble.  After checking a few things, I replaced the
xdm line in /etc/iniitab with gdm and rebooted.  It starts up with
gdmlogin (although no user icons--should I be expecting any?).  But from
here if I try to log in as anything but root, it acts like it tries, but
then returns back to the gdmlogin window.  If I log in as root, it kills
X and goes to the text login screen, asking for my login.
    I must confess I don't fully understand how gdm works, but can
anyone give me some clues as to what's happening?  Is there any other
documentation (besides what comes with gdm2) that better explains the
whole process?

TIA,
Dan