Re: GDM 2.0beta2 doesn't let root to login

On 10 Sep 1999 08:42:14 -0400, Roberto Zunino <zunino@cli.di.unipi.it> wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Benjamin Klein-Fignier wrote:
>
>> I have a problem with gdm. Since I have installed gdm 2.00beta2, root
>> can't login with gdm !!! It shut X down with no restart, I have to run a
>> killall gdm to restart it !
>> Note, root login is allowed in gdm.conf
>>
>> Thanks for your help !
>>
>> Ben.
>
>Try to set AllowRoot to 0 instead of 1. It seems that a "!" is missing
>from the code (gdm2/daemon/verify.c line 146). It defaults to 1 in gdm.h,
>too. It should be called "DenyRoot", at least.

I've put a fix for that into my tree that I'm using to make the RH package, but that
doesn't seem to help either - it aborts the login etc., instead of logging in as root.

Oh goodie, just found the bug. In auth.c gdm_auth_user_add(), the very first thing it
does is check to make sure the 'uid_t user' param is not 0 - if it is, things wind up
aborting.

Have fun,
-- Elliot
smuggle Semtex nuclear Serbian domestic disruption Noriega
arrangements plutonium security Treasury [Hello to all my fans in
domestic surveillance] spy explosion South Africa Cocaine