Re: Why oh why is Gnome eating my panel! (Frustration == MAX)

On Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:16:07 Pete Toscano wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Sep 1999, Govind Salinas wrote:
>

> > I've had a similar expiriance. I installed my RedHat 6.0 and set up Gnome but
> > When I loged out and back in it would not load up.  Occasionally it would give
> > me a dialog box saying that there was a panel already started and if I would
> > like to start another one.  I'd click yes and my panel would come up.  It
> > would also constantly loose the applets I had loaded, only binging them up
> > seemingly at random.  But after setting it up a few times and then turing the
> > automatic session saving and saving it manually ( I think this helped ) it seems
> > to have setteled down.
>
> the panel always loses any mods i make to it.  every time, 100% of the
> time.  nothing i do makes it better, even turning on the automatic
> session saving.  i've even asked for help on this list multiple time,
> but nobody has been able to help.  =8[

One thing I did (I think it helped) is that I write protected the ~/.gnome/session
and everything in ~/.gnome/panel.d

Im sure this is not the way to do things, but it kept my panel stable (except for
applet crashes) until I decided I wanted to change things.  Also I think it is a
good idea to turn the session management off after you have your panel the way you
want.  Have you tried turning session managment off, setting up your panel then
manually saving it.  After you do this reboot.  You never know it might work.

					-Govind Salinas