Re: Massproducing Gnome user environments.

On 01-Sep-99 jcromwell@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I tried a while back but eventually gave up...it certainly would be
> desirable.

        I'd call it essential. Where I work, we set up user
environments as part of a deliverable. IOW, as soon as the tape's
read and the install script's finished, there's a useful user
environment for the system's operator. Any user environment must
be able to fit into this sort of procedure somehow, IMHO. I see
two choices for achieving this:

1)  Set up the environment's directory structure so that all the
static files are easy to accumulate into a tarball. By "static
files" I mean things like resource files, gtk configuration files,
etc., as opposed to files like the one gmc uses to keep track of
what directory it was last used in. I've used this method to
duplicate CDE and VUE (Hewlett-Packard's old desktop) environments.

2)  Provide a way of configuring an environment via scripts or
programs, so that this can be done as part of an installation.
The way I visualize this working is as a set of choices, starting
with simple stuff like "Choose a GTK theme", "Choose a window
manager", "OK, choose an Enlightenment scheme", etc., with some
choices obviously dependent on previous choices. A standard
configuration could be chosen using a response script.

        In either case, documentation of how this can be done is
also essential.

Date: 08-Sep-99  Time: 10:28:37

Craig Orsinger                  (email: <orsingerc@epg-gw1.lewis.army.mil>)
Logicon RDA
Bldg. 8B28                      "Just another megalomaniac with ideas above his
6th & F Streets                 station. The Universe is full of them."
Ft. Lewis, WA   98433                   - The Doctor