Re: Gnome broke.

This indicates that X can't connect to the font server.  Check to see if
the font server is getting started at boot (it is probably called xfs).

This is really a problem you should bring up on a mailing list for list
for configuring your distribution.  It is not a GNOME problem.

James.

--
Email: james@daa.com.au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/