libgtkxmhtml and Xpm things compile trouble

Hmm, ok.. when I'm trying to compile the latest control-center it's having
trouble like thus:

/usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to
`XpmCreateXpmImageFromBuffer'
/usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to `XpmFreeXpmInfo'
/usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to `XpmGetErrorString'
/usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to
`XpmCreateXpmImageFromData'
/usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to `XpmFreeXpmImage'

now these seem to be defined in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/xpm.h.  When I was
compiling gnome-libs, gtk-xmhtml complained it couldn't find xpm.h, so I
located the package that contained it, installed it, and away I went.. Do I
have to inform control-center's Makefile of where to find xpm.h or
something?

Thanks
Matt