Output of gnome-config

Hi all!
I'm new to gnome programming and I have a question about building gnome
apps. I'm using glade and then managing the sources with C-Forge (or
attempting to). I was able to successfully compile all kinds of gtk+
apps by using the 'gtk-config --cflags' and 'gtk-config --libs' macros
to generate the compiler and linker options, but I can't seem to get any
gnome apps compiled. When I try to add 'gnome-config --cflags' or
'gnome-config --libs' to the gcc or ld command line options, I still get
errors. From the command line, gnome-config --libs produces no output at
all. Is this normal, or is my installation screwed up?

[weidmans@linux weidmans]$ uname -a
Linux linux.pipeline.ca 2.2.10 #2 Sun Aug 1 02:37:18 CDT 1999 i586
unknown

The output of gnome-config:

Known values for LIBRARY are:

    glib	(calls glib-config)
    idl         (to be used with orbit-idl)
    gnome
    gnomeui
    gnorba
    gtk		(calls gtk-config)
    gtkxmhtml	(only --libs)
    zvt		(only --libs)

If LIBRARY is none of these,

    /usr/lib/<LIBRARY>Conf.sh

is looked in for the necessary information.  Those currently installed
appear to be:

    applets
    capplet
    libart
    libglade
    libgtop
    obGnome
    print
    xml

1. Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

2. Has anyone successfully used C-Forge to compile gnome apps?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers!

Syd.