Re: module viewer

I'm curious, if it works in GTK, why would you want to port it to GNOME?

Not every app is a candidate for GNOME (it'd mean a lot of unnecessary
bloat by linking to libgnomeui and libgnome and stuff).

The advantage of coding in GTK means more users can use it and it will
generally be faster.

-  If there is a specific reason that you need to port
it to GNOME then do it (i.e. there's something in GNOME that you can't
find in GTK).

-  If you want to port it as a 'learning project' to help you
understand GNOME then do it

-  If you want to make it into an applet or something, then do it

-  If you're sick of GTK+ and would like something that simplifies many
tasks. Generally GTK+ code is very tedious when compared to somethings in
GNOME, GNOME wraps around it and simplifies it to most of the developer's
needs.

These are some of the reason why you would want to port a Gtk+ app to
GNOME. Generally though this may alienate some people (KDE?) who install
Gtk+ and KDE but no GNOME. (For exmaple, i'm sure there are many GNOME
people who have installed Qt and not KDE - that way you can have the
necessary apps of both sides without the other 'environments'). You have
to evaluate it yourself and decide which you want