Re: Help! gnome-name-server won't start

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Dave Seidel wrote:

> Hope someone can help, because I'm dead in the water and desperate.  I build
> Gnome from CVS and have been updating it and running it daily for months.
> Since this morning, perhaps coincidentally after updating ORBit, I restarted
> X and gmc/panel/etc. (i.e., anything that uses ORBit) no longer works.  I
> blew away my gnome-libs and gnome-core sources and checked out the
> gnome-xxx-1-0 versions, rebuilt, still no good.  My copy of ORBit doesn't
> have any sticky tags; should it?
>
> Example: "panel &" in an Eterm
>
> Output in terminal:
> "** WARNING **: Could not get name service!
>
> ** ERROR **: file goad.c: line 659 (real_goad_server_activate): assertion
> failed: (name_service != CORBA_OBJECT_NIL)
> aborting..."
>
> Output in system log:
> "Oct 25 14:42:16 ashbless gnome-name-server[14727]: starting
> Oct 25 14:42:16 ashbless gnome-name-server[14727]: Receveived signal 11
> shutting down.
> Oct 25 14:42:16 ashbless gnome-name-server[14727]: Receveived signal 6
> shutting down."

If you're using Gnome from CVS, then you are one of those bold explorers
who can get a stack trace of this, eh? :)

-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.