Transparent icons in panel are off-center

Does anyone know why the icons that i create for my panel do not center
themselves on the tiles? I create them as RGBA in gimp, and
scale/resize/crop to 48x48, but when i use them in a panel launcher,
they ignore the transparency and push themselves up to the top left
corner of the tile. (I have an example at
http://whizbang.penguinpowered.com/images/icons.png) I am using October
Gnome, but I noticed this with earlier versions of Gnome as well.

--
Dr. Whiz-Bang
whizbang@nbnet.nb.ca