gnomecal needs $DISPLAY ?

One of the coolest things about gnomecal is that I can do:

	$ gnomecal --events

and get a list of events from my calendar written out to stdout.

What isn't cool though is that this seems to require a working X server
for Gtk to connect to, even though no Gtk stuff will ever be used.. (?)

I really wish I were able to telnet in and get my calendar, or have a
cronjob publish my schedule to a text file on the web every hour.

Is there a way around this, or can a developer familiar with the gnomecal
code remove the code that connects to the X server?

BTW, this is with version 1.0.50 of gnomecal.

- Brad