Re: Adding apps to the panel

On Thu, 21 Oct 1999, Nils Holland wrote:

> Was this meant to be a solution to my
> "Adding-apps-to-the-panel-problem?" If so, Iīm pretty sure that I did
> never have anythinge else than orbit-0.5.0 installed. When I installed
> my SuSE Linux I didnīt select the ORBit-package that comes with the
> distribution (thatīs at least true for my SuSE 6.0 system, I cannot
> remember if I initially installed an older ORBit on my SuSE 6.2, if so
> Iīm pretty sure that I removed it correctly, using the rpm -e
> <whatever-name-the-package-had> command.

Hmm, then odds are this isn't the problem.

Do:
ldd `which gnomepager_applet` | grep libORBit.so | awk '{print $3}' | xargs ls -l

And then do 'rpm -qf filename' on the file that the symlink points to, and
if it's owned by the 0.5.0 package you're OK.

> When I did some stuff today, I noticed that while compiling GNOME-CORE
> there are several WARNING-messages from the compiler appearing on the
> screen. One of these reads like:
>
> applet-widget.c:84: warning: initialization from incompatible pointer
> type

These are OK.

> I just thought that that might mean something, because when I type
> gnomepager_applet (or any other applet) in an xterm, the error messages
> I get does also refer to applet-widget.c.

> If my problem are related to these compiler-warnings, is it possible
> that the compiler Iīm using isnīt quite a good idea to use when
> compiling GNOME? Iīm using the egcs compiler, which is installed by
> default on SuSE 6.x.

This is almost certainly a runtime problem. We need to find why it can't
look up the panel. If I knew how to reproduce the problem, it'd be fine,
but unfortunately the last time I saw this problem was around GNOME 1.0.7
or so.

-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.