Re: GMC desktop URL icon problems

>  I have latest versions of all GNOME and GTK stuff on Debian GNU/Linux potato
>  (kernel 2.2.12, glibc2.1.2). Anyway, my problem is that creating a URL icon
>  on the desktop creates a file with a gibberish name that does nothing when
>  clicked on. I'd really like to get this fixed - any advice?

For some reason your metadata database has become corrupted.  Please
erase ~/.gnome/metadata.db and recreate your desktop icons.

*Sigh*.

I have never had this problem myself.  I see no reason why the
metadata DB would get corrupted.  Several people have reported this
problem, though, so it may be a real bug lurking around.

Please tell me if you experience this bug ever again after recreating
the database.

  Federico