Re: GNOME on Ice

>> Here is a nice article on using the IceWM with GNOME:
>>   http://www.linuxpower.com/display_item.phtml?id=140
>> Truefully I don't know why you gnome and RedHat folks like that slow
>> Enlightenment so much.
>We installed RedHat 6.0 on an obsolete PC at work (a P90 with 48M RAM,
>so quite a bit of memory, but still seriously slow by today's
>standards).  And it seemed fine.  Changing Enlightenment themes is
>seriously slow, and launching apps is slower than I'd like, but
>overall it's pretty usable.

More or less the same in some of the machines I use. I even have E on a
486DX2-66 with 20MB. I changed to FVWM2, and it become a bit faster, but
nothing impressive. E theme and other config (panel anims, ie) is important
when speaking about speed. This thing about speed varies from machine to
machine, and what is more important, from user to user.

>Icewm (nice though it is), doesn't seem portable enough to be the
>standard GNOME WM, IMHO.  Last time I tried compiling it on a Solaris
>2.5.1 box I just couldn't get it to work; perhaps this has improved
>more recently, I haven't looked.  (My vote would be for Window Maker,
>although sawmill seems to be shaping up nicely.  It would be cool to
>have a nice small programmable window manager (anybody remember
>GWM?).)

After the portability issues, IceWM would be perfect if it allowed changing
the keybindings. IIRC it does not, so for me it is not usefull (I use apps
that use IceWM keys, so I would have to use workarounds, no thanks). I use
FVWM2 or E. Well, all is just a matter of time and personal preferences / needs.

The only thing I will suggest to distros is to include more wm than they do
now and let the user choose (RH 6.1 has no Ice, but has FVWM2, E, AS and WM,
IIRC). But that is a theme for other lists, not this one.

GSR