Re: Figured out my sound problems with Gnome and esd

Elliot Lee wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Dan Hensley wrote:
>
> > On my system, ESPEAKER was not set (never had been before, never needed it before).
> > So esd_open_sound was looking for ESPEAKER, not finding it, then looking at my
> > DISPLAY (set to my fully qualified local machine name)
>
> This is incorrect - on the local machine, you should leave the hostname
> out of $DISPLAY so UNIX sockets will be used (they are faster than
> localhost TCP/IP :).

I just checked, and /etc/bashrc was setting display as `uname --nodename`.  This is the
way it came from RedHat (I'm using 5.1), so I guess it's a faulty installation setting.
But yeah, setting DISPLAY=:0.0 would also be a way to fix what esdlib does.  I think
I'll try resetting DISPLAY for a while and make sure it doesn't break anything else.

> Putting all sorts of special cases into esound is probably not the right
> solution here (although I don't think that libesd should look at $DISPLAY
> in the first place. Oh well...).

It was supposed to be a clever trick to be "smart" when users forget to set ESPEAKER
when they're logging in from another machine, but in my case it backfired.  (How is your
machine set up?  empty DISPLAY or do you have ESPEAKER set?).  You're probably right--it
probably should be taken out altogether.  Is RedHat maintaining esound now?  Can you
submit a change for this?  Incidentally, I tried cc'ing who I thought was the main esd
person (ericmit@ix.netcom.com), but my mail bounced.

Thanks,
Dan