Re: Still having trouble with sound in Gnome

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Dan Hensley wrote:

>     As of Gnome 1.0.40, sound is broken on my system.  When esd is
> running, nothing at all will play.  It doesn't matter if I launch it to
> use tcp or unix sockets.  I can play an mp3 file with a version of
> mpg123 compiled not to use esd, when esd is not running.  As soon as I
> launch esd, it gives me the startup tones.  Then when I try to use
> esdplay or anything else, I get the message that /dev/dsp is busy.
> fuser says that esd has control over that device, but apparently it has
> absolute control because nothing else can use it.  One interesting thing
> I noticed is that if I kill esd, when I use esdplay a sound comes out.
> What gives with that?

It is just opening /dev/dsp directly.

>     Here's part of an strace output of esd, right after it gets done
> playing the startup tones but before I kill it.  Can anyone tell me if
> this looks right?

I'm pretty sure I already pointed out that trying to connect to the TCP/IP
port and not trying the UNIX socket. AFAIK nobody else can reproduce the
problem.

> I believe the problem is due to something the 1.0.40 install process did
> to my system, not the daemon or library itself.

Unfortunately, it's pretty much "your problem" :(

Good luck, :\
-- Elliot					http://developer.gnome.org/
The first thing a programmer needs to admit is that any program is by far
more complex than his own mind. Thats why he partitions it into neat
pieces and avoids complexity.