Re: Integrate VMware and Gnome

I'll just fill in a few missing points and snip the rest to cut down on
bandwidth...

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999, Chris Rogers wrote:
> On 13 Oct 1999, Regis Duchesne wrote:
[snip]
> > Q: I guess it is possible to do it, but I don't know how to do it
> >    simply with a shell or perl script. Basically, I haven't found any
> >    documentation explaining how menu (or the menu editor) work, and
> >    what files I need to modify. Can somebody help me?
> I believe the menueditor is gui only.  The menustuff however is both easy
> and hard.  it is basically just .desktop files placed in a hiearchy:
> $gnomedir/share/gnome/apps/Category/Subfolder/program.desktop
> for instance
> /usr/share/gnome/apps/Internet/gnomba.desktop is the menu entry for
> gnomba.  The trick however, is discovering where $gnomedir is.  This I
> have no idea how to do.  I build my tarballs assuming it is in
> /usr/local, and my rpm's assuming it is in /usr.  I know there has been
> some discussion of making it easier, I don't know what ever came of it.

There's an easy way to do this... run gnome-config --prefix.  It should
be in the user's path if they're running GNOME and it returns the prefix
to where all GNOME stuff is installed, eg, on my machine it returns
/usr.

[snip]
> > Q: In this email, I have referred to a lot a gnome directories. Is
> >    there a central database (whose location does not change) where
> >    these directories ($PREFIX, $LIBDIR) are stored? We need to install
> >    our stuff on tons of distributions, and all of them have chosen
> >    different places for those directories :(
> I believe there is currently no way to figure this out, but I am not sure.
> Everyhing is in fixed places under $PREFIX, but that can change, though
> /usr/local, /usr, and /opt/gnome seem to be the most popular.
>
> Personally I just use /usr, since that is what rpm's use, and then do
> --prefix=/usr for all the things i compile.

All the GNOME directories can be determined with gnome-config.  Run
gnome-config --help for exactly what to ask for.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Katz		http://linuxpower.org
Personal: katzj@linuxpower.org

QOTD:
The number of computer scientists in a room is inversely proportional
to the number of bugs in their code.