Help with building RPMs of gnome

Yeah I know I could just use the provided RPMs, but I just want to roll my
own anyway...so, my question is:

How do I get compilations of the tarballs (say for instance
control-center-1.0.51) to generate the i18n files? When I look at the file
listings of the control-center rpm on ftp.gnome.org, it has
/usr/share/locale/*/*/*, just as it is listed in the spec file in the
tarball. But when I compile and install from the tarball,
$prefix/share/locale/*/*/* isn't installed.

Any help would be great...

...Sean