Re: Magellan, the KDE e-mail integrated system

Just a thought about this nascent Outlook/Magellan-clone effort:
before you go off duplicating effort, don't forget the code that we
already have: gnome-pim and Evolution, in particular.

Evolution (formerly gnome-mailer) in particular is significant in
large part because, other than the fundamental notion of a "view"
based mailer, I don't think they've started planning or working on
the actual UI.  Since you'll probably want to leverage Bertrand's
Camel library anyway, I'm not sure what gain there is to be had from
running two mailer efforts at this point (at least until you reach an
impasse on UI issues or the like).

I think the idea of an integrated messaging/PIM system is intriguing
(although I find Outlook baffling, but that's just because I was
thrown into supporting it recently), but it seems to me that you
should be able to do it without rewriting a mail client and PIM from
scratch.  (Especially since the mailer is new enough that you can
build in support for integration almost from the beginning)

Of course, if all you were planning to do all along was to integrate
(using Bonobo?) gnome-pim and a mailer, feel free to ignore this
message.:)

-Russell

--
Russell Steinthal		Columbia Law School, Class of 2002
<rms39@columbia.edu>		Columbia College, Class of 1999